Home    About Kids 'R' Kids    Frequently Asked Questions   
The Experience
General Questions


Application Process

Where Can I Learn More

Frequently Asked Questions


What is CTLC?

The Center for Teaching and Learning in China is a USA-based organization that assists Kids 'R' Kids China to recruit English speaking directors, teachers, and interns for its rapidly expanding early childhood academies in China.

From 1997 - 2014 CTLC collaborated with the metropolitan Shenzhen Education Bureau to recruit teachers of English in the Shenzhen public schools. After 2014 changes in policy in the Shenzhen Education Bureau and Bureau of Foreign Experts made it nearly impossible for CTLC to continue recruiting, training and supporting new teachers in Shenzhen. CTLC has continued to support returning teachers under contract in Shenzhen.

The Center directors are members of NAFSA Association of International Educators and the Chinese Language Teachers Association.

What is different about Kids 'R' Kids from other opportunities to teach in China?

First, it does not require either previous teaching experience or TEFL certification. It provides the training to enable you to do the job. Second, Kids 'R' Kids is a long-established Americian franchise with a successful model for developing pre-school programs and nurturing children. It provides excellent facilities, salaries and benefits to attract and retain teaching staff, well above the typical teaching position in China.

I do not have a Bachelor's Degree, but do have teaching experience or early childhood certification. Can I get a job?

Yes, but only as an intern for 6-12 months. The Chinese government requires that all foreign teachers on work visas have a minimum of a baccalaureate degree.

Who will be my employer?

You will be employed by Kids 'R' Kids China, a franchise of Kids 'R' Kids in the United States.

When can I express a preference as to the location in China I prefer to work?

You can indicate this in the interview. Position openings vary from week to week.

Will I be teaching with other foreign teachers, or alone?

When fully staffed, Kids 'R' Kids schools will have up to 10-12 foreign teachers each, along with Chinese staff. Classrooms will generally consist of 15-18 children with three teachers, at least one of whom will be Chinese, to each class.

How many hours do I work?

You will work 40 hours a week, not all of which is in a classroom setting.

What vacation time will I get?

You will get 10 paid vacation days off. In addition you get 11 Chinese national holidays and 2 American holidays (Thanksgiving and Christmas).

What if I get ill?

You get 5 paid sick days off. After 5 paid sick days, sick days will be paid 60% of regular salary.

How long is my contract?

Kids 'R' Kids China prefers a 2-year contract, especially for lead teachers. You may be able to negotiate for a shorter contract.


What kind of training to I get?

You have two weeks of paid training, either in China at a Kids 'R' Kids school, or at the corporate headquarters near Atlanta, Georgia.


How do I submit an application?

You can apply at any time. Kids 'R' Kids operates year-round, not on an academic schedule. Send a résumé and brief cover letter to china.program@gmail.com

How does the application process work?

CTLC will review your resume and schedule a brief phone interview, after which you will be interviewed by Kids 'R' Kids China by phone or Skype. During these interviews you can learn more about the specific job opportunities.

What is the phone interview like? What should I know before being interviewed?

You should have looked over this website and the FAQ thoroughly so that you have a good idea of what the job entails.

What traits and experience are you looking for?

The ideal participant is adaptable, energetic, flexible, likes working with young children, relishes the opportunity to experience a foreign culture, and can "go with the flow." Experience living abroad (in any country) and an interest in learning foreign languages are helpful.

I was born in China. Am I eligible for this job?

Unfortunately, no. The State Administration of Foreign Experts Affairs, which controls issuance of the required visa documents, does not accept as foreign teachers any people born in the PRC, Hong Kong, Macau, or Taiwan, regardless of their present citizenship.

I am a permanent resident but I am not a citizen of the USA, Canada, UK, Ireland, Australia, New Zealand or South Africa. Am I eligible for the program?

Unfortunately, no. The Chinese Foreign Experts Bureau does not allow any exceptions to the requirement that every foreign teacher using English as the primary language be a citizen of the USA, Canada, UK, Ireland, Australia, New Zealand, or South Africa.


How much cash should I bring with me to get started?

It depends on your needs and preferences. Until you will receive your first monthly salary payment bring enough to cover miscellaneous expenses. Remember, China is still primarily a cash economy; credit cards are not widely used.

Can I use foreign ATM (debit) cards in China?

It is becoming increasingly easy to access foreign bank accounts in China through ATM cards. It often depends on your bank, the ATM you are using in China, and luck. Ask your bank if it has limits on ATM withdrawals abroad and also if it has a relationship with a Chinese bank to avoid an ATM service fee (for example, Bank of America with China Construction Bank). To avoid difficulty in accessing your home bank account, make sure you inform your bank that you will be traveling and living in China before you depart from your home country.

I would like to be better prepared for my stay in China. Is there a book you can recommend?

A book some have recommended is Encountering the Chinese: A Guide for Americans (2nd edition, 1999) written by Hu Wenzhong and Cornelius Grove. The book is well reviewed on Amazon. One reviewer noted: "If you are going to China and seek a better understanding of the courtship between East and West, Hu Wenzhong, who is Chinese, and Cornelius Grove, who is American, wrote this culture-bridging book for you. They clearly reveal not only the differences between Chinese culture and Western cultures, but the origin of many of those differences. They explain both history and culture as a context for contemporary social standards, from practical etiquette to how to conduct yourself on a daily basis as you travel, live or work in China."


Copyright © 2016  All rights reserved.
Home  | About Kids 'R' Kids  | Frequently Asked Questions